NewStyle Pot Noodles
I distinctly remember having a thing for pot-noodles, when I was in my teens. All slurpy splashy sauce and ultimate convenience. Back then I don’t think I ever even considered checking a label. How times have changed!
This noodle dish captures the convenience, but instead of unpronounceable mysterious dried offerings, flavourings and additives, it’s packed full of real foods that you actually want to eat.
If you’re packing this up to eat on-the-go, you’ll need a wide jar or cup, with a lid, that can resist heat. You’ll also need a kettle, or maybe you can charm a friendly barista into giving you a splash of hot water when you’re ready to eat.
- 1 serving of noodles – precooked fine rice noodles or Bare Naked Noodles work well here.
- ½ stock cube
- your choice of veg, protein and herbs:
sliced mushroom + 1 spring onion (finely sliced) + wakame seaweed + handful of spinach leaves + 1 egg (boiled for 6 minutes)
½ carrot (grated) + ½ courgette (grated) + 1 chicken breast (cooked and shredded) + handful of fresh parsley (washed and chopped)
handful of bean sprouts (washed and chopped) + handful mangetout (finely sliced) + ½ pack tofu (diced) + handful coriander (washed and chopped) + ¼ red chili (finely sliced)
chili powder and soy sauce (optional)
1. Put your noodles at the bottom of your cup.
2. Then crumble in the vegetable stock cube.
3. Top with your choice of veg, protein and herbs. And add a few glugs of your favourite oil and any other seasonings.
4. When you’re ready to eat, add enough hot water to cover the noodles, put on the lid and leave to sit for 3 – 5 minutes. The noodles will soften and the vegetables will steam slightly.
5. Finally, whip out your fork, give everything a quick stir, and tuck in.