Roasted Cauliflower with Red Lentil Dahl
This recipe is a stunner, elevating the humble cauliflower into a paprika-dusted sensation which is the star of the dish. It’s also the perfect recipe for April as cauliflower is in season in the UK.
2 tsp ground paprika
2 brown onions
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp group turmeric
2 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp fenugreek
1/2tsp dried chili flakes
2 vegetable stock cubes
60g tamarind paste
250g red lentils
250g baby leaf spinach
100g blanched almonds
1 Preheat your oven to 200C / 180C (fan) GM6
2 Prep and roast your cauliflower
- Remove the outer leaves and cut away the stem. Then cut the cauliflower into small florets, add to a tray, spoon over the paprika, season with salt, drizzle with oil, mix and bake for 25 mins until browned.
3 Cook your red lentil dahl
- Finely slice the onions and crush the garlic. Warm a pan, add some oil and cook the onion and garlic for 5 mins.
- Boil a kettle and put the spinach in a colander. When the water has boiled, pour over the spinach so it wilts, and leave to drain.
- Once the onions and garlic are softened, add the turmeric, garam masala, fenugreek, dried chili, vegetable stock cubes, tamarind paste, and red lentils to the pan. Top with 1l of water, give everything a stir, and leave to cook for 25 mins.
- Stir frequently so it doesn’t stick.
- Squeeze out the excess water and chop the spinach.
4 Final step
- Scatter the blanched almonds over the cauliflower, return to the oven and roast for a further 5 minutes. This is your Roasted Cauliflower.
- Add the chopped spinach to the red lentils, stir through and leave to cook for a further 5 minutes. This is your Red Lentil Dahl.
Serve the Red Lentil Dahl in a warmed bowl, top with the Roasted Cauliflower and crunchy roasted almonds.