Overnight Apple Cinnamon Oats
A classic combination that delivers the fruity warmth of a home-made apple pie.
Did you know, the great thing about soaking oats overnight (as well as grains, nuts and seeds for that matter) is that it starts to break down phytic acid? This in turn reduces the amounts of phytates in your meal and helps maximise the absorption of various trace minerals, including magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, chromium and manganese.
So by soaking your oats and nuts and seeds you can get more nutrients out of your breakfast.
70g jumbo or whole oats, don’t use quick-cooking oats as you won’t get a lovely creamy consistency
10g (1tbsp) hemp hearts
10g (1tbsp) omega seeds, use pumpkin, sesame or sunflower seeds – whichever you have
10g (1tbsp) chia seeds
1 serving protein powder, natural or vanilla protein powders are more versatile than those with berry or chocolate flavours
5g (1/2tsp) ground cinnamon
oat mylk, enough to cover all ingredients
natural yogurt or berries to serve
1. Prepare your oat mix.
- Take a jar or container with a lid, or even a glass or a regular breakfast bowl.
- Spoon in the oats, hemp hearts, omega seeds, chia seeds, protein powder and cinnamon, and give everything a quick stir
2. Soak your oat mix in the evening.
- When you’re ready to make your overnight oats, simply add the grated apple and enough oat mylk to cover everything.
- Leave overnight in the fridge.
3. Take out of the fridge when you wake up in the morning. The Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats are ready to eat as they are, or add an extra topping before they are served.
- Creamy toppings – a dollop of plain yogurt, coconut yogurt, creme fraiche or quark will add a creamy freshness.
- Nutty toppings – add a sprinkle of chopped nuts or a spoonful of your favourite nut butter.
- Sweet toppings – if you’ve got a bit of a sweet tooth add a drizzle of yacon syrup.
One way to save time is to take 7 small jars or containers and put in all the dry ingredients. Then each night, simply add your liquid and fresh fruit to make 1 serving of overnight oats for the following day. In the morning your speedy breakfast is ready to enjoy!